Monday, October 5, 2015

Happy Birthday Mom!

This past weekend we had a small family luncheon at Tadashi's in the Pearl Kai Shopping Center on Oahu to celebrate my mom birthday.  It was fun and the food was GREAT.   Mom was smiling ear-to-ear.   LOL.   Wanting to keep her card Asian-themed, I whipped up this shaker card for her.   So happy she loved it.  I inked "Mariko" by Sister Stamps with Copics, added Cherry Blossom flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts, leaves (punch) by EK, and laser cut sentiment from Island Scrapbooking. For the background, I used a Cherry Blossom embossing folder by Cuttlebug and washi paper from Japan for the shaker.

Favors was a must, so I made these treat boxes (Box w/Scallop Flap & Flowers by Sizzix) and filled each with 2 individually wrapped Chocolate-dipped  Shortbread Cookies.  My brain has been in overload mode lately causing my mojo to skip town so I made designed the boxes similar to a set I made a while ago.  I dabbed some Distress Ink over the "Texture Mesh" stencil by Memory Box, then topped it off with sunflowers, and a little butterfly punched with glitter paper.



Ohhhh, yummy.....we all enjoyed the Peach Barvarian cake from Zippy's.  Very light, moist, and not too sweet.


Hubby and I had planned one eating some malasadas from Leonard's Bakery but holy cow, at 8:15 in the morning, the small parking lot was full with a few cars waiting to get in.  Plus a crowd of people waiting outside to get in and they were already open.  Well, so much for that plan and bring home some onolicious malasadas.   As always, we practically flew all over the place to get things done.  Good thing lunch was at 11:00.  We were famished so we started off with some sushi.  On top is the Spider Roll which has I believe deep-fried Soft Shell Crab in it.   Oh, hubby and family can have that. Below is the California Roll.  YUM!!!


Hubby and I were planning to share the "Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab Salad" but the waiter was so nice to serve it in 2 separate bowls.    Oh, I gave my crab to my hubby.   Hee-hee.  This was one of the best salad I ever had.  The Miso Dressing must've had a bit of chili pepper in it which was awesome.


Hubby and I shared the Tempura dish and Misoyaki Butterfish.   


My brother ordered the Chicken Katsu.  

I didn't take pix of everyone else's lunch but we all agree that we MUST go back to Tadashi's again. We highly recommend it.


The night before, hubby and I went to Shirokiya in the Ala Moana Shopping Center and shared this deeeeeelicious Korean Shaved Ice.   Oh, so refreshing.



Thanks for stopping by and HAVE A SCRAP HAPPY DAY.

7 comments:

Deloris said...

What a cute shaker card! Love the treat boxes too!

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Karen, beautiful card for your mum, bet she loved it.
Her birthday cake is gorgeous and all the food looks yummy, Kate x

eva said...

wonderful card for your mom! some great looking food too! there never seems to be a short line at leonard's!

Shirley N said...

Your mom must have loved her beautiful birthday shaker card! That was a lovely birthday gathering for her with all the ono food and even pretty favors too!

Colleen said...

I am glad that you all of you were able to celebrate your mom's b-day with her over the weekend and have an ono and memorable time together. I am sure that seeing all made her feel extra special. Your card and favors turned out great. Did you make the favors using a die? All the food that you ate is making me hungry even though I ate dinner already. I will need to try the restaurant that you went to the next time I am in Oahu. I never tried Korean shaved ice before. I will need to see if we have anywhere locally that serves it. How is it different than regular shaved ice. I miss eating malasadas. The ones from Leonards are good but I prefer the ones from Liliha Bakery and King Kamehameha Bakery now.

Leanne said...

Aww, Happy Birthday to your mama! It sounds like a great time. Love all the pictures of the food and the beautiful cake for your mom. If I ever get back to BI I'm going to order that cake! hahaha! Your card is beautiful Karen. What a wonderful post!!
PS - Leonard's sounds like Porto's here in California! They always have long lines, but they have a great system that gets you out of there pretty quickly.

Elise said...

omg Karen! Look at all those dishes of yummy food! They all look so delish .. sigh!! And the cake ... ooooooooooooooh! I haven't had peach barvarian in ages! Bet your Mom loved her beautiful card that you presented to her too! And your favor boxes are such a special gift to give to everyone .. how sweet! Hope your Mom had a most fantastic Birthday!!!

Big Hugs,
Elise