Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A "Flip It" Thank You Card

Sigh, I finally have something new to post.   I've been MIA for a while as my hubby and I helped our son and his girlfriend move to Oahu last week.   Sob-sob, I really miss them a lot.

During our trip, I was able to squeeze in a little bit of craft shopping and couldn't wait to play with my new Sizzix "Flip It" die.   I got this at J's Knicknack's.  I remember making a card similar to this a while ago without the die and boy did I struggle.   This die is GREAT, just one pass thru my Big Shot and wala, just need to fold and design.  How cool is that? 

Since I had to make a thank you card for my friend, I chose Bouquet Birgitta because I love the pretty bouquet she's holding.  Then placed her on the "brick wall" which I made using the Sizzix embossing folder.   The flourish and leaves are from Dora in a recent fun swap we did.  Thanks Dora.  The cherry blossom is by Wild Orchid, and the other flowers and buds are from Photo Craft on Oahu.  Other supplies:  Copic, butterfly punch by Martha Stewart, pearls by Kaiser Craft, ribbon by Offray, and DP by Doodlebug from Island Scrapbooking.

I'm entering this card in the Wild Orchid Challenge - Week 46 "Things with Wings."


Here what the card looks like when you start to open it.  Do you see the circle portion "flipping?"



And here's the inside when fully opened.



Of course we couldn't return home without some manapua from Chun Wah Kam in Waimalu.  We got a variety....Pizza, Kalua Pork, Spicy Pork, and my favorite, Char Siu.



AND when my hubby and I stopped by Zippy's in Pearlridge for lunch, he saw a sign saying they are now selling malasadas.   Ummm, the picture looked really yummy so we decided to try just one....just in case.  Oh boy, were we surprised.  It WAS DEEEELICIOUS, soft, fresh, light, and not oily.  So we went back for more to bring home for our other sons and neighbor.   



And this is what it looks like "half eaten."  

And here's a pix of Cheryl (Life is Sweet) and me (on the right...I take junk pix...LOL).  So glad I got a chance to meet her and chat for a bit.

Thanks for popping in.   Hope you HAVE A SCRAP HAPPY DAY.

18 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

That looks like the same kind of card Cheryl posted recently too.
That looks pretty neat... yummy manapua my fav is charsui too.. delish malasades and how cute you both pass for sisters.... LOL!!

Cheryl said...

Hey Karen! You did a wonderful job on your cutie card!!! I love that circle flip-it die too. I made another card using that die. The malasadas look yummy. I'll have to stop by and try some next time I'm on that side.

Lynn said...

You did a great job on the flip card. I have that die on my wish list. Sad to hear that your son moved to Honolulu, but just think of all the delicious trips you can take to visit him...so much ono food on Oahu.

karen said...

hi karen, glad you got your son moved , even if it was bitter sweet youll sure miss him, that card is cute and made so much easier with the die.
karen x

Erin- said...

I've never even heard of a flip card--it looks so neat. I'll definitely have to try it. You've created a fantastic "thank you" card.

Looks like you had a yummy trip , even if it was a little bittersweet. (confession time: I did have to google some of the food to find out what it was--LOL)

Leanne said...

Hi Karen,
Ah, well you now have an excuse to go to Oahu and a place to stay. Love that die!! And your card came out soo cute. It's always nice when we can just use something to make things easier. I think your friend is going to love it. She'll probably wonder how'd she make this?! hahaha!
O man, I am hungry just looking at all that food! Wow, they have a variety of manapua, but I think my all time fave is charsui too. Yum malasadas!! Happy Wednesday Karen!!
;)

Dora said...

Aww your card is gorgeous Karen, love the sweet colours and that you found good use to the die cuts I sent you :D .. fab die too, first time I saw this around. ... Those goodies look yummy too yum yum :D xxx

Eskimo Frosting said...

Gorgeous card. It sounds like you have had a very busy time of it.

Hugs
Jayne
x

Mary J said...

YUM!! Oh no, I'm hungry again now Karen!

Such a great card - I love that technique!

Colleen said...

The card that you made for your friend looks like so much fun. I am going to have a keep an eye our for that die now. :) Love the pictures that you posted of the malasadas and manapua. Are they like Chinese bread buns? I am sure that everyone that you shared the goodies with loved them. Wish I could have had some. :) The picture of you and Cheryl looks great. I am sorry that you are feeling a bit sad with your son and girlfriend living in Oahu now. Hopefully you'll get to visit them soon or they will visit you. Have you called them or have they called you since you got home? Big hugs!

Tracy said...

Such a fun card.
Your treats look delish. I need some ;)

Cyndi said...

Super cute and creative card! Looks like you had fun on Oahu, except leaving your son and his gf. At least you can always visit! :)

Deloris said...

Love your circle flip card! Great job!

Handmade Cuties said...

Sending you hugs. I hope your son & his gf enjoy living here on Oahu. I'm glad you were able to bring home some yummy treats and yes, the malasadas are pretty good =) Once again, you managed to create such a beautiful card.

Cely said...

ooohweeee! manapua AND malassadas! naughty girl! now i want a malassada. :(

sorry they're moving here. :( but Oahu is pretty funsies, so it'll be a good move. plus visiting them would be a good vacay! :)

Linda said...

Super cute card, love the flip card!!! Super great idea!!!

Dena said...

I just love this fold!! Gotta try it! Your card is way too cute!
Thanks for joining in the WOC Challenge this time around!
Hugs, Dena

Cami said...

Love that circle Flip-It die! Makes flip card making so much easier and I love the scallop circle die you used inside! Now that your son lives on Oahu, you can come out shopping more often! All the food you took back home makes me hungry!